Harberton Parish Neighbourhood Plan
A Neighbourhood Plan gives communities direct power to develop a shared vision for their neighbourhood and shape the development and growth of their local area.
Harberton Parish as a community will have a greater say in shaping the areas in which we live and work and in supporting appropriate new development proposals for the future. The Neighbourhood Plan forms part of the development plan and sits alongside the Joint Local Plan (JLP) which has been prepared by the local planning authority.
Decisions on planning applications will be made using both the JLP and the Neighbourhood Plan, and any other material considerations. Drafting a Neighbourhood Plan means that planning decisions will be based on better informed and more detailed policies than if Harberton Parish were only covered by the JLP.
The Neighbourhood Plan reflects local ideas and opinions, aiming to ensure that the Parish’s identity is protected and that it will have a sustainable, healthy and prosperous future.
The plan is still in draft, with amendments being made by the steering group regularly. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the group’s last meeting was on 27th February 2020. Work on the plan will recommence when it is possible for members of the steering group to meet again in person.
This is the most current version:
This is a PDF file of 72 Pages – approx 3MB
Harberton Parish Neighbourhood Plan Meetings
Minutes for all HNP Meetings are held in the Parish Council minutes archive.
Until the COVID-19 pandemic brought a halt to meetings, Harberton Parish Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group Steering Group met on the last Thursday of the month, 7:00 to 9:00 pm. Restarting meetings is regularly under review and it is hoped to continue work on the plan soon.
Once meetings resume, anyone is welcome to join! Please come along – you will be made very welcome and your views listened to during these meetings.
The group can consist of up to 21 voting members.
New members can be co-opted by a vote of existing members at steering group meetings.
The steering group is guided by the principles of democracy, transparency and accountability and members are obliged to adhere to Harberton Parish Council’s code of conduct. More information can be found in the steering group terms of reference.
Current members include: Cllr Chris Bowley, Cllr Douglas Hambly, Sally Lougher, Cllr Prana Simon and David Sprent.
The Story So Far
- 2012 Harberton Parish Council resolved to create a Neighbourhood Plan
- 2013 Application for Designation of Neighbourhood Area was submitted to the local authority
- 2013 HNP Steering Group was formed
- 2013 First Consultation – A simple survey was sent to all households and open days were held in Harberton and Harbertonford. See collated responses to the 2014 consultation here.
- 2014 First draft Neighbourhood Plan was written and published
- 2015 Second Consultation – open days were carried out in Harberton and Harbertonford
- 2015 Second Consultation – detailed questionnaire was sent to every household in the Parish (two copies, twice over 3 months)
- 2015 The responses from the open days and the questionnaires were compiled and published on the website.
- 2015 Re-draft the Neighbourhood Plan chapters based on the responses from the open days and the questionnaires
- 2016 Consultation with South Hams District Council
- 2016 Detailed Consultation and re-writing of each chapter of the Draft Harberton Parish Neighbourhood Plan
- 2017 Site visits
- 2017 Site assessments
- 2017 Detailed consultation with South Hams District Council
- 2017 Draft and policy adjustments
- 2017 Site Detailed Assessments and Draft Conditions
Still to happen!
- Statutory consultation of Parish residents, stakeholders and other interested parties.
- Create final draft of Neighbourhood Plan based on responses.
- Submit to Parish Council for approval
- Parish Council to submit to SHDC and Planning Inspector.
- If approved, South Hams District Council will conduct a referendum in the Parish – a simple yes/no vote to support or reject the Neighbourhood Plan.