Harberton Parish Council Invitation to Tender
|Title||Parish Lengthsman Services|
|Contractor||Harberton Parish Council|
|Contract period||December 2022 – March 2023 This initial contract will run for a period ending 31st March 2023. It is possible that the contract be extended to the following year if the pilot is successful.|
|Deadline for submissions||5:00pm Thursday 1st December 2022|
|Contact details||Cat Radford, Harberton Parish Clerk email@example.com 0845 557 8469|
Due the reduction in the number of Parish Lengthsman staff employed by Devon County Council and with it the reduction in the regularity of checks and associated maintenance throughout the year, Harberton Parish Council is inviting tenders for lengthsman work.
Lengthsman work includes monitoring and clearing as required the infrastructure which drains water off the roads in the Parish, and the emergency clearance of blockages.
The purpose of contracting additional lengthsman services to supplement Devon County Highways’ maintenance of drainage features in the Parish is to reduce the risk of flooding of properties in the villages of Harberton and Harbertonford and in the Parish’s outlying hamlets.
In 2019 the Parish Council conducted a survey of the buddle holes in the Harberton Parish. A map was drafted numbering the buddle holes and drainage features, with a report of the condition of those features. A number of higher priority buddle holes were identified for regular maintenance due to the impact that build up of dead leaves and vegetable matter would have on properties downstream.
Applicants are invited to provide a quote to undertake the key tasks outlined below.
2. Key Tasks
The successful Parish Lengthsman will be required to:
- Use the map and Parish Council’s 2019 report detailing 45 parish buddle holes
- Focus first on the 10 buddle holes identified as being ‘high priority’ before working through the remaining mapped list in geographical groups
- Undertake any simple maintenance (i.e. removal of leaves and debris) with hand tools. Noting works undertaken through simple reporting and taking photographs of work done.
- Making a note of any issues, or works that would require specialist equipment, such as hiring a jet wash so that those works could be co-ordinated over one visit.
- Clearing leaves and other debris from gully grid tops and drainage grips
- Clearing vegetation from the entrances and exits of highway culverts
It is expected that the key tasks will be undertaken:
- Once during the summer months, to review the condition of the drainage features since the last survey in 2019.
- In December 2022 to clear drainage features of leaves and vegetation after the majority of trees have shed their leaves.
- To undertake additional visits as agreed with the Parish Council in circumstances where there has been heavy rainfall and run-off may prevent effectiveness buddle holes and other drainage features. Discussion on the need for services will either be triggered by Parish Councillors and the Clerk noting impacts of heavy rainfall, or on observations by the contracted lengthsman.
3. Hours and reimbursement
- All key tasks will be specified, and the price agreed in writing between the Parish Council and the Lengthsman and approved by the Parish Council before any work is carried out. This must include costs associated for use of tools, machines and materials.
- Time required will vary depending on the season and the weather. The Parish Council expects the Lengthsman to require up to 20 hours per year.
- If it is the Lengthsman’s view that more hours are required it will be necessary to consult a meeting of the Parish Council prior to proceeding with the work.
- The Lengthsman will be paid 3 monthly, or as agreed, on submission of an invoice.
4. Contractor Responsibilities
The Contractor will wholly be responsible for the following:
- Any subcontracted workers or staff employed for the purposes of the delivering the contract
- Risk assessments appropriate to delivery of the contract
- Provision of necessary training (i.e. Chapter 8 training)
- All equipment and vehicles used in delivery of the contract
- All insurances including public liability insurance.
5. Submitting a quotation
If interested in the contract for services, please submit the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Name and whether applying as sole trader, limited company, partnership, etc. If appropriate, include company name, company address, company registration number.
- A quotation detailing:
- your experience, qualifications and how you would manage the key tasks
- A proposed hourly rate and your assessment of the hours required to undertake the key tasks described
- Arrangements for reporting work done back to the Parish Council
- Proof of insurances held
- Proof of Chapter 8 certification
- At least 2 testimonials/references
Deadline 5pm Thursday 1st December 2022.
Quotations will be considered by the Parish Council on 15th December 2022.
Click here for a downloadable PDF of this invitation to tender.